FCNL Young Fellows spend 11 months working with key staff members to build expertise in advocacy from a public interest perspective. The program is full-time and paid a subsistence-level salary with benefits.
Fellows work under the title “program assistant” and work directly with FCNL lobbyists and other senior staff, gaining first-hand knowledge of the legislative process and the organizing and communications work that is necessary for policy change.
The program offers opportunities for:
- Advocacy: Lobby Congress and build grassroots campaigns to encourage constituents and members of Congress to take action by providing them with information on critical issues.
- Research: Attend congressional committee hearings and coalition meetings and analyze documents and reports.
- Communications: Draft action alerts, letters, and background reports to keep constituents informed and to express FCNL's position to Congress and the administration.
- Outreach: Help build democracy by organizing campaigns and workshops that empower people around the country to engage with elected officials in Washington.
Young fellows work from late August through the end of July.
Salary and Benefits
Salary covers basic living expenses for the Washington, DC area.
Benefits include fully paid health coverage, paid vacation and sick leave, and a public transportation or biking stipend.
Program assistants are responsible for making their own housing arrangements.
The application deadline for 2015 has passed. Check back for updates and 2016 application information.
A completed application will include:
- An application form
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution from which you hold a degree. (Transcripts may be unofficial. FCNL may ask for an official transcript at a later date.)
- Resume (including education, work, extracurricular, and volunteer experience)
- Three references.
- Three letters of recommendation from your references
For more information, contact Kathy Zager, email@example.com
FCNL seeks to create a diverse workplace. We are actively soliciting applicants from different ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds.